Monday, June 2, 2014

photography: Jim Jocoy's Punk Rock

Recently I found out about this book: "We're Desperate: The Punk Rock Photography of Jim Jocoy SF/LA 1978 -1980", which chronicles the styles of the burgeoning Bay Area rock/punk scene at that time. What fascinates me was that this was a time of transition. Hippie-flower-child style was turning into black leather and combat boots, there was a real change in the culture at the time, reflected in music and fashion. 






Needless to say, I really identify with the fashion and personal style of the era. I like the in-your-face boldness of it, how it feels like personal armor, the rebelliousness and messy imperfection of it. There was a kind of originality and a " do - it - yourself " spirit (and one that wasn't packaged, branded, and sold in stores like Urban Outfitters). A lot of fashion today really takes inspiration from these roots.  But I find such an authenticity in these images that I rarely see in fashion and personal style today...

If you're interested, you can find the book Here. I think it's a must for the fashion & photography library!

1 comment:

  1. Such an interesting post! I always love how you speak about your inspirations and the idea of outstanding but "real" or authentic fashion as you said. There are so many things to think about this subject. I love the contrast between the look of the girl and her outfit on the 1st pic... So artistic! xx
    Maeva

    ReplyDelete